webmail
LogIn
About Us
About Dhubri Municipal Board

 

Dhubri is an old town of Assam on the bank of river Brahmaputra and Gadadhar with historical significances. In 1883 the town was first constituted as Municipal Board under British Regime. It is situated about 277.4 Kilometers (172 mi) west of Dispur, the state capital of Assam.

Dhubri Town is divided into 16 wards for which elections are held in every 5 (five) years. Dhubri Municipal Board has 8512 registered house hold. The Municipality authority of Dhubri is consistantly working heard to provide better, clean, hygenic urban facilities to the citizen of the town.

Dhubri was an important commercial centre and had a busy river port particularly for Jute. Dhubri is called the "Land of Rivers" as it is covered three sides by river.

Culture
 

More than 50,000 Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims and all faiths devotees from all over the country and abroad assemble in this historic shrine every year in the month of December to mark the martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahadur, which starts on 3 December with great solemnity and ceremony. Sikhs call the week long reverence of Sahidee-Guru-Parav which is marked with a massive procession. Guru Tegh Bahadur thus earned the affectionate title of "Hind-di-Chadar" or the Shield of Hind dates back to Hindustan.

Dhubri is also famous for its Durga Puja and Dashera.

History
 

The word Dhuburi comes from a legendary lady named Netai-Dhubuni. The story is connected with Behula-Lakhindar. The word Dhubuni is considered a corruption of 'Dhuburi'. According to Bodo-Kacharis, the word is of Bodo origin and derived from Dubra, a kind of grass. The story of lady Netai-Dhubuni is widely accepted for the naming history of Dhubri and that is where the Gurdwara Sri Tegh Bahadur Sahib stands.

This place is famous for the Sikh Gurdwara Gurdwara Damdama Sahib or Thara Sahib which was constructed in memory of visit of First Sikh Guru Nanak Dev and later it was followed by visit of Ninth guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur and the Gurdwara is named as Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib. Hence, it has great importance for Sikh community.

Until 1874, Dhubri was mostly a part of Bengal kings. In 1874, the British Government created a new province named Assam Valley Province and incorporated Goalpara district area comprising three civil subdivisions Dhubri, Goalpara and Kokrajhar with the new Assam Province. In 1879, the district headquarters was shifted from Goalpara to Dhubri town. The district of Dhubri is again subdivided in three districts namely Dhubri, Goalpara and Kokrajhar. The town of Dhubri falls under the jurisdiction of the district of Dhubri whose headquarters is at town Dhubri.

The present Dhubri District is one of the three Civil Sub-divisions of erst-while Goalpara district, established in 1876 during British regime. In 1879 the District headquarters was shifted from Goalpara to Dhubri.

In the year 1983 Goalpara district was divided into four separate districts and Dhubri is one of those. Covering an area of 2,838 km2. including forests, riverines, hills etc. the district has become the most densely populated district in India with a density of 584 persons per km2.(As per 2001 census).

Dhubri Dist has been visited by many historical personalities like - Guru Nanaka, Srimanta Sankardeva, Guru Teg Bahadur, Swami Vivekananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Gopinath Bordoloi and others.

Dhubri town also was very famous for the Match Factory (WIMCO), though it has shut down due to circumstances but still people who had witnessed the same still remembering the beauty of the factory its staff quarters and their modern art of living.

Geography
 

The town is located between 89.5 degree east longitude and 26.1 degree north latitude. The town is about 34 m above the sea level. Dhubri is covered by rivers by three sides, predominated by river Mighty Brahmaputra, which is a sorrow as well as joy for the dwellers.

Demography
 

As of 2011 India census,[2] Dhubri had a population 109,234. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Dhubri has an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 79% and, female literacy is 68%. In Dhubri, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. With close to 75% of its population Muslims, it is one of the minority concentrated districts of India.

Most of these people are Desi (Goalpariya Assamese people which includes the Hindu and Muslim Goalpariya people) people. In Dhubri town, Bengali constitute about 50% of the population. This was the region of Koch kingdom.

Transport
 

The National Highway - 31 (NH-31) from Jalukbari (Assam) to Borohi (Bihar) is running north of the Dhubri Town. The distance from the Dhurbri town to NH-31 is 8 Kilometers. Regular Bus services are available to all the places of Assam as well as some places of neighbouring West Bengal.

The importance of the railway station and the MG line was also decreased since 1947, when the direct line to Calcutta was snapped as it ran through erstwhile East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). The train service has newly started on 2010 again, and it is functioning smoothly. However the train services running from the Dhubri railway station are taking a new route from Dhubri to Kamakhya and Guwahati Junction. Trains originating from Dhubri station are, Dhubri - Silghat (Rajya Rani Express), Dhubri - Siliguri (Inter City Express) and Dhubri Fakiragram passenger.

Dhubri has an airport at Rupshi which is about 23 km from the town. It was constructed during World War - II by the British mainly for military purpose to accommodate 52 jet aeroplanes. Till 1983, the Indian Airlines and some private commercial flights operated regularly between Calcutta, Guwahati and Dhubri. Now it is totally closed. However, recently the ministry of DONER, GOI, has taken some initiative to renovate and functionalise the airport. An airport authority team from Guwahati conducted a survey the historic airport, whether the place could be rebuilt as an airport. Now the nearest airport is Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Internationl Airport is 250 Km away and Bagdogra (Siliguri - West Bengal) airport is 228 Km away.

The town had a very busy river port on the bank of the Brahmaputra which was used as an international trade centre with the neighbouring countries, specially in British era. At present, this port is lying idle. Now most of the other part of Dhubri District is connected through machinsed boat and for that Dhubri Town is having Four Numbers of River Ghat.

Climate
  The Climate of the area affects human activities to a great extent. Pathsala has a similar climatic condition with rest of the Brahmaputra valley with hot humid summer and cool dry winter. Mean annual maximum and minimum temperatures of those towns are 36.5 C and 8.1 C respectively. There is sufficient rainfall in summer with an annual average of 1852.20mm and a Ralative Humidity of 75%.